Discuss criteria of a research design with appropriate example.
Research design, whatever maybe the types of research works and studies, one thing that is important is that they all meet on the common ground of scientific method employed by them.
One expects scientific research to satisfy the following criteria:
- The purpose of the research should be clearly defined and common concepts be used.
- The research procedure used should be described in sufficient detail to permit another researcher to repeat the research for further advancement, keeping the continuity of what has already been attained.
- The procedural design of the research should be carefully planned to yield results that are as objective as possible.
- The researcher should report with complete frankness, flaws in procedural design and estimate their effects upon the findings.
- The analysis of data should be sufficiently adequate to reveal its significance and the methods of analysis used should be appropriate. The validity and reliability of the data should be checked carefully.
- Conclusions should be confined to those justified by the data of the research and limited to those for which the data provide an adequate basis.
- Greater confidence in research is warranted if the researcher is experienced, has a good reputation in research and is a person of integrity.