The Chinese hot and sour soup is generally meat-based, and frequently contains ingredients like day lily buds, wood ear fungus, bamboo sticks, and kale, in a batter that is sometimes flavored with pork blood. Sometimes, the soup would likewise have carrots and parts of pork.
It is typically made hot (spicy) by red peppers white pepper, and sour by vinegar. Soup preparation may use pork or chicken broth, or could be meat-free. Common key ingredients at the American Chinese version comprise pine sticks, toasted sesame oil, timber ear, and cloud ear infection, day lily buds, vinegar, egg, corn starch, and white pepper.
Other ingredients include button mushrooms, shiitake Walnut, or straw mushrooms and small slices of tofu skin. It is comparatively thicker than the Chinese cuisine variations because of the accession of cornstarch.
This soup is generally regarded as healthy option at most Chinese establishments and, besides having high in sodium, is a Really healthy Soup in general.
Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Ingredients for Hot and Sour Soup
- 4 cups chicken soup
- Vinegar, (you can also use Apple Cider Vinegar to make it more healthy)
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large pork chop sliced paper-thin and precooked
- 1 mushrooms sliced and drained, 80 gm.
- 1/2 cup carrot sliced into sticks about the same thickness as the bamboo
- 80 gm tofu well drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots drained and sliced into sticks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon dark toasted sesame oil
- Salt according to taste
- Adjust seasoning vegetables according to your taste
How to cook Hot and Sour Soup?
Take a pan or kadai, heat, and add chicken soup, boil it. After boil add vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, red pepper, pork, mushrooms, carrots and seasoning vegetables which you want to add. Cook it for 5-to-6 minutes at low flame.
Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Add slurry to the soup and stir well. Let simmer until soup thickens.
After a simmer cook it for another 5 minutes at low flame.
Make the egg batter and add it to the soup. And Cook it for 2 minutes.
Mix the green onions and sesame oil. Remove from heat and serve hot.