Name essential elements of computer.
Essential elements of Computer:
Input Device: Input devices are meant for presenting the data and information to computers machine readable form. A computer can have one or more of the following input devices.
- Electronic Keyboard.
- Punch card reader.
- Magnetic tape.
- Floppy disk.
- Optical scanners.
- Tele processing terminals.
- Visual display unit (VDU)
Central Processing Unit (C.P.U.): It consists of three units, all are electronic based.
- Memory Unit or Storage Device: The computer remembers data and instructions by storing them in memory unit.
- Arithmetic and Logic.Unit (A.L.U.): The arithmetic and logic unit in CPU handles both the arithmetic and logical operations on which much of the computer operations are based.
Control Unit: This unit controls, manages and coordinates the functions of fall units in the computer. It also manages the internal movement of data and information.
The functions of CPU in a computer are:
- Store the data, information and instructions.
- Control the sequence of operation as per the stored instructions.
- Control, manage and coordinate the functions of all units in the computer.
- Carry out data processing and to send the results to the output.
Output Device: The results of any data processed by the computer are communicated to the user by means of the output devices. Output devices translate the computer output into a form which can be understood by persons using computer,
Some of the output devices are:
- Visual display unit or monitor.
- Card puncher.
- Magnetic tape disc.
- Magnetic disc.
- Floppy disc.