What is a Standing Committee? what are the Power and Function of the Standing Committee?
The Standing Committee acts as an executive arm of the ESI Corporation. It administers the affairs of the ESI Corporation subject to general superintendence and control of the Corporation. It exercises any of the powers and performs any of the functions of the Corporation.
Composition (Section 8). The Standing Committee consists of the following members:
A Chairman, appointed by the Central Government.
- 3 members of the Corporation, appointed by the Central Government.
- 3 members of the Corporation representing such three State Governments thereon as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify from time to time.
8 members elected as follows by the Corporation.
- Three members from amongst the members of the Corporation representing employers.
- Three members from amongst the members of the Corporation representing employees.
- One member from amongst the members of the Corporation representing the medical profession.
- One member from amongst the members of the Corporation elected by the Parliament;
The Director General of the Corporation ex officio.
Term of Office: The term of office of a member of the Standing Committee, other than a member referred to in clause (a) or (b)(i) or (ii) stated above is two years from the date on which his election is notified. Provided that a member of the Standing Committee shall, not with standing the expiry of the said period of two years, continue to hold office until the election of his successor is notified. Provided further that a member of the Standing Committee shall cease to hold office when he ceases to be a member of the Corporation. The term of office of the Chairman/members representing Central or State Government depends upon the pleasure of the Government.
Powers and Functions of the Standing Committee (Section 18). The powers of the Standing Committee are-
- Subject to the general superintendence and control of the ESI Corporation, the Standing Committee shall administer the affairs of the ESI Corporation and may exercise any of the powers and perform any of the functions of the Corporation.
- The Standing Committee shall submit for the consideration and decision of the Corporation all such cases and matters as may be specified in the regulations made in this behalf.
- The Standing Committee may, at its discretion; submit any other case or matter for the decision of the Corporation.