What is Morale? What are the Significance of Leadership vis-a-vis Morale?
Morale is total attitude towards oneself, one’s work and one’s colleagues in work situation. It is a product of need satisfaction on job satisfaction level. Morale is an individual or group feeling of competence and confidence, reinforced by job satisfaction and need fulfillment.
Factors that influence the Morale:
- Sound compensation plans.
- Job security and continuity.
- Human behavior.
- Delegation of authority.
- Higher Responsibility and job enrichment.
- Employee participation on goal setting.
- Advancement and promotion of opportunities.
- Grievance Redressed System.
- Informal organization building
Leadership vis-a-vis Morale.
Democratic or participative style of leadership help build high morale of its group.
- Leadership which shows and proves its concern for the subordinates concerns and works for the removal of these concerns help build morale.
- Morale of work group is the measure of the effectiveness of leadership.
- Good leadership inspires confidence in the work group and it boost its morale.
- Job satisfaction provided by effective leadership helps build high morale.