Write short note on ‘IATA’ and ‘UFTAA’.
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is a non-governmental organization and membership consists of practically all air carriers. The active members are engaged in international operations whereas the associate membership consists of domestic airlines. IATA aims
- At encouraging the development of reliable, regular and economic air transport for the benefit of travellers,
- To foster air commerce and study the problems their in
- To research the problems and issues related to the industry.
Founded in 1945 the activities of IATA have increased over the years. Today its services and roles include:
- Setting rates on global routes agreeable to member airlines.
- Planning of time table for international flights.
- Standardizing and coordination of certain services like baggage checks, reservations, etc.
Universal Federation of Travel Agents Association was founded in 1966. Its members are national organizations. It aims representing the travel agency industry and travel agents at different forums and negotiates on their behalf.
Further we list few other organizations
- International Federation of Tour Operators (IFTO) which represents national tour operator associations.
- International Youth Hostel Federation (IYHF) which represents national youth hostel associations.
- At International Hotel Association (IHA) representing the hotel and restaurant industry.
- International Association of Tour Managers (IATM).
- Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), etc.
In most of the countries the tourism policy is formulated and in some cases operationalised also under a National Tourists Organisation. Matters related to development, promotion, marketing etc are looked after by such official organizations. In fact their major functions are
- Policy formation and planning
- Promotion and marketing
- Coordination between public and private sectors
- Human resources development through training and education
- Legislation and regulation, etc.